The main purpose of cleansing is to release toxins from our body. Toxins come from the foods we eat and beverages we drink, but they also build up from environmental factors that we cannot control.
Importance of Pre-Cleansing
Cleansing your Body for 3-5 days before you begin the actual cleanse will allow your body to transition to the Thrive Juice Lab Cleanse and yield the best results. During the 3-5 day pre-cleanse you slowly begin removing the major allergy and inflammatory foods without cleansing your body too quickly. This is a very important step that will maximize the benefits and increase your success with our program. Your body will also thank you with reduced detox symptoms such as extreme hunger, bloating, constipation, and headaches.
During the pre-cleanse. Try to stick to 3 square meals with 1-2 snacks following the guidelines of foods to include and foods to exclude.
- In preparation for cleansing, it’s important to begin cutting back and eliminating certain foods 3-5 days before start date. These foods are:
- Processed food
- Sugar or Artificial sweeteners avoiding Agave and High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Caffeine/ Alcohol
- White starch foods- potatoes, breads, crackers, etc
- It’s ideal for your body to begin the detoxification before the purification that comes with the program. Eating clean should also begin 3-5 days before the cleanse. Foods this includes are, but are not limited to:
- Fruits and vegetables
- Gluten free grains - brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa
- Nuts and seeds
- Healthy oils
- Nut butter
- Organic Eggs
- Wild caught fish
- Begin reducing intake of products like gluten and wheat
- Instead of coffee, try starting your day with warm water and lemon or tea such as a Roobois, Guayusa, or green tea.
- Use natural sweeteners such as stevia, maple syrup, or raw honey.
- Note: Organic is best! Use free range organic eggs. Always combine carbs with healthy fats and protein!
- The best way to cleanse continually and naturally is good 'ol water! Water is extremely important to flush the toxins through your system. This helps to keep your organs clean and properly functioning. If you don't already, begin to increase your water to at least 64oz a day. Once regulated, you won't feel the need to use the restroom as much.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO CLEANSE YOUR BODY?
We are exposed to toxins on a daily basis (air/water pollution, food additives, pesticides, alcohol, cigarette smoke, etc) that over time can build up in our bodies and affect many of our bodily systems including our neurological, immune, endocrine, and digestive systems. When large amounts of these toxins are allowed to build up over time, health issues may arise.
By following the Thrive Juice Lab Cleanse, you can help your body eliminate those toxins, reducing your toxic load and enabling the body to function more efficiently and optimally.
Benefits of the Thrive Juice Lab Cleanse:
- Elimination of toxins in your body
- Overcoming cravings for sugar and salty foods/other processed foods
- Learning to listen to your body
- Restoration of gut health (connected to the health of the rest of your body)
- Reduction of inflammation
- Weight loss if needed
- Increase in energy and vitality
You are what you eat
We have all heard it before. But what many people do not realize is just how true the statement is. Our bodies are
constantly turning over cells. There is a constant cycle of cell death and replacement occurring every second of every day, while we are awake or asleep.
Here are a few facts to take in:
- The lining of the stomach is replaced every 5 days
- The outer layer of skin is replaced every 30 days
- New brain cells and tissues are generated every 60 days
- The lungs replace themselves every 2-3 weeks
- If you were to consider the turnover of old cells and replacement with new over the entirety of the human body, the entire body is replaced every 5-7 years
- New cells are created from macronutrients and micronutrients absorbed through the intestinal tract from the food we eat. So, when you get down to it, we are literally made up of the food we eat. This is why it is so important to supply your body with the proper nutrients in order to build a healthier You!
Foods to include:
- Fresh vegetables: asparagus, artichokes, avocado, bell peppers, broccoli, beets, onions, leeks, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, mushrooms, tomatoes, celery, cabbage, cucumber, zucchini, lettuces and other greens, squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, etc
- Fresh fruit: apples, berries, citrus fruits, peaches, pears, plums, pineapple, kiwi, mango, etc
- Nuts & seeds: all unsalted-almonds, walnuts, pistachios, pecans, sacha inchi, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chia, flax, hemp seeds, natural nut/seed butters
- Gluten-free whole grains: gluten-free oats, brown rice, wild rice, millet, & quinoa
- Legumes: black beans, cannellini beans, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas
- Protein: wild caught fish & shellfish, organic free-range eggs
- Beverages: water!, unsweetened teas (green, white, rooibos, herbal, oolong, & guayusa), unsweetened almond, coconut, and rice milks
- Extras: sea salt, pepper, herbs, spices, healthy plant-based oils (extra virgin organic olive oil, organic raw coconut oil, sunflower seed oil, nut oils, grape seed oil, flax seed oil), apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, honey, stevia, tahini
Foods to avoid:
- Processed foods: canned, packaged foods, chips, breakfast cereals
- Refined foods: white rice, white breads, biscuits, cakes, pastries, baked goods
- Grains containing Gluten: wheat products (bread, pasta, etc), rye, barley, bulgur, spelt, couscous
- Dairy: cow’s milk, yogurt, hard & soft cheeses, cottage cheese, sour cream, butter
- Non-organic Soy: tofu, tempeh, soy lecithin, soy-based meat replacers
- Added Sugars: table sugar, sweets, candies, chocolate
- Beverages: alcohol, soda/soft drinks, sweet tea, commercially packaged juices
- Extras: table salt, margarine, commercial dressings & sauces, artificial colors, flavors, additives, preservatives, hydrogenated fats
What to expect
In doing the Thrive Juice Lab Cleanse, you will be reducing your caffeine and sugar intake, eating whole unprocessed foods high in vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients, as well as giving your system a break from some of the “usual” junk. During the first week your body should start releasing some of those built up toxins from your cells and tissues. You may experience symptoms of detox (and you may experience some but not all).
Symptoms of detox include:
- Muscle & joint pain
- Flu-like symptoms
- Stomach cramps/bloating
- Change in bathroom habits
- Skin eruptions
- Strange taste in mouth/bad breath/change in body odor
The fatigue, irritability, and headaches are often symptomatic of sugar and caffeine withdrawal in addition to the body releasing toxins—this will often subside within a few days. Muscle & joint pain, flu-like symptoms, and a slight “run down” feeling is a result of the toxin release from your cells and tissues. While your body is releasing these toxins, it is important that you do your part to eliminate them from the body. There are a few methods which we can eliminate toxins from our bodies: through our sweat, lungs, kidneys, and colon.
Exercise is one of the best methods to help our bodies increase toxin elimination because it increases sweat production and breathing rate (releasing toxins through exhalation). Exercises like yoga that involve deep breathing techniques may be especially helpful. The physical movement of exercise boosts blood and lymphatic circulation, which also aids in toxin elimination. Bottom line: aim for 30 minutes of exercise at least 4 times per week (more is even better!).
Expect changes in bathroom habits
Because of the increased amount of fruits and vegetables, whole grain, etc your body will adjust to the change in fiber intake. You may notice some uncomfortable bloating and gas at first while your body adjusts.
Make sure to drink plenty of water (approximately half your body weight, in ounces –for example, a 150 lb person would need 70 ounces of water not considering for exercise), which will help decrease these symptoms. Water intake is incredibly important not just for general health and digestive system regularity, but also as a part of toxin elimination as it helps flush these compounds out of the body through the kidneys and urinary tract.
More frequent trips to the bathroom— As a result of increased fiber intake and release of toxins, you may need to use the bathroom more often. Again, be sure to drink plenty of water to help move everything along smoothly. With adequate water intake, you should expect to urinate approximately once every hour. In addition to increased frequency, your bowel movements may be easier to pass and larger. Bowel movements and urination are your body’s way of “taking out the trash” or eliminating waste and built up toxins. Not everyone will have a bowel movement every day, but eventually this will change as your body adjusts. You may have more than one bowel movement per day, this is normal and just a sign of your body detoxifying and eliminating those toxins.
Changes in your skin
Temporary increase in skin eruptions/acne—For some individuals, one symptom of the detoxification process includes a temporary increase in skin eruptions or acne. Toxins harbored in the deeper layers of the skin begin to come to the surface and can result in blemishes. This occurrence is usually temporary and clears with continued adherence to the cleanse.
Clearing of the skin— The skin is the body’s largest organ, one of the first lines of defense for the immune system, and a physical barrier against environmental toxins. Just like the rest of our cells and tissues, toxins can build up in our skin as well. We eliminate some of those toxins through our skin by sweating, so in addition to getting enough exercise, a trip to the sauna may help aid in elimination as well. As the body detoxifies, the skin will begin to appear more clear, even toned, and supple. Increase in hydration from drinking plenty of water as well as getting optimal amounts of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients, results in an improved appearance of the skin. Many individuals report a “glowing skin” result with the cleanse.
Strange tastes and smells
Many individuals report a strange taste in their mouth, bad or strange smell on breath, and changes in body odor. These are also symptoms of toxin release in the body and adjustment to eating the proper ratios of macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein, and fat). Again, drinking plenty of water can decrease some of these symptoms, and they most often subside within a few to several days.
On the Thrive Juice Lab Cleanse, you will be eating plenty of fresh, all organic, whole, nutrient dense foods that will supply your body with what it needs to function optimally. The combination of eating properly, drinking plenty of water, and exercising will likely result in weight loss. This will vary for each individual because every person’s body is different. The amount of weight loss, the rate at which weight loss occurs, and changes in body composition will be different for everyone. If you are looking to lose weight, do not step on the scale every day—our bodies are constantly changing (especially while on the cleanse), and weight can fluctuate on a daily basis for a number of reasons. It is best to weigh yourself no more than once per week. In addition, it is a good idea to also take consistent measurements (waist, hips, arm, and thigh). This will help you to track body composition changes (increased muscle mass, decreased fat mass). For the same surface area, muscle weighs more than fat, so sometimes there will be greater changes in measurements in comparison to the scale. If you have access, it’s a great idea to get your body composition measured—one of the most accurate and inexpensive methods is bioelectrical impedance, which is available at many fitness clubs and doctor’s offices.
CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING IT THIS FAR!
Following your Thrive Juice Lab Cleanse, you will want to maintain all the good you have done for your body!
- Continue to eat small frequent meals every 3-4 hours. This is crucial to maintain normal blood glucose levels, which is important in sustaining an increased metabolism, increased energy, protection of lean muscle tissue & release of adipose (fat) tissue, as well as craving elimination.
- Your diet should consist of mostly whole foods as close to their natural state as possible. Avoid processed and pre-packaged foods and buy organic and local whenever possible. If you choose to consume animal proteins, always buy organic (wild caught fish & seafood, free-range poultry, grass-fed beef, and wild game meat). Reference the Thrive Juice Lab Grocery List for a list of healthy foods to include in your diet.
- Continue to include fresh organic juices & smoothies in your daily food intake
*Fresh pressed juices & smoothies:
- are highly concentrated in nutrients & enzymes
- support detoxification
- aid & improve digestion
- help to maintain a normal alkaline pH in the body
4. Reintroducing Eliminated Foods: If you choose to do so, reintroduce eliminated foods (dairy/gluten/soy) very slowly. You will want to reintroduce each food independent of one another to accurately determine whether or not you have a sensitivity or intolerance to a particular food. Choose one at a time and slowly reintroduce those types of foods over a period of 1-2 weeks before trying another. Start with small portions. Pay close attention to how your body feels immediately afterward and for a few hours following consumption. Indications of intolerance include digestive upset, gas, bloating, headache, fatigue, irritability, etc. If these symptoms are reproduced several times when the reintroduced food is consumed, you may be intolerant and should consider eliminating it from your diet entirely.
*Choose from the following list of healthy options from these groups:
- Gluten: Organic sprouted whole grain bread, organic whole wheat pasta, organic whole wheat pitas & tortillas, barley, bulgur, farrow, spelt, other
- Soy: Organic Edamame, organic tofu, organic tempeh